Meridian is the fastest growing city in the state of Idaho with over 81.5% growth since the year 2000. With a growth rate this strong, it is no surprise that more and more families are being raised in what is now Idaho’s third largest city. Anyone who lives here knows that there is a large focus on community and family in Meridian and the greater Boise area. There is a long list of activities that children and families can enjoy, and most of them come at very reasonable prices. We are proud to be a part of the Meridian community!
This is our pick of the top 10 family friendly things to do in and near Meridian, Idaho:
- Wahooz Family Fun Zone-There are many things to do at Wahooz including two 18-hole Miniature Golf Courses, two Go-Kart Tracks, Bumper Boats, a two-story Laser Tag Arena, Batting Cages, two-story Kiddie Cove soft play structure, an Arcade with more than 100 Video and Ticket Redemption Games, Wahooz Prize Center and the 24-lane Pinz Bowling Center. There is a new Laser Maze that will be open in March. The Club House Grill offers a menu of delicious pizza, salads, sandwiches, and burgers. Admission is free and they are open year round.
- Roaring Springs Water Park– Located next door to Wahooz Family Fun Zone is Roaring Springs Water Park. When one visits they will find waterslides, a lagoon, a wave pool and a small children’s area. The Cliffhanger and Corkscrew Cavern are the two newest waterslides designed for the thrill seeker in you! You will also find refreshments, fast foods, and a gift shop. Roaring Springs Water Park is open May – September with days of the week and times varying. Check their webpage for more details.
- Meridian Speedway– The Meridian Speedway is a racetrack that hosts numerous different kinds of races, ranging from stock cars to sprint cars to thunder dogs. The racetrack also hosts many special events and promotions. The first race of 2016 is Saturday, April 2, 2016.
- The Village at Meridian– “Movies, concerts, arcades, local entertainment and much more, The Village at Meridian provides a wide selection of activities to keep families and friends coming back again and again.” Watch a movie at the Village Cinema, go ice-skating (seasonal), shop and dine. Take your kids to the children’s play area, and don’t miss the world class show fountain with hourly shows choreographed to lights and music. There is something fun for the whole family.
- Eagle Island State Park– Located about 7 miles North of Meridian is Eagle Island State Park. Your family can enjoy hiking, horseback riding, fishing, horse shoe pits, picnicking, kayaking, canoeing and volleyball. The park also has a large waterslide and a visitors’ center with a gift shop. Paddleboard rentals are available within the park at the visitor center as well. The park is open year round, and the waterslide is open Memorial Day Weekend through Labor Day. In the winter months you can enjoy Snow Hill for some exciting winter sports and sledding.
- Aquarium of Boise– Located in Boise about 8 miles outside of Meridian. The aquarium houses over 250 species of animals and marine life. Exhibits include a ray pool, shark nursery where shark eggs prepare to hatch, a Giant Pacific Octopus, an interactive tide pool where visitors can touch a variety of aquatic animals, a reptile exhibit, and a bird aviary where you can feed Yellow Breasted Lory’s and Rainbow Lory’s from the palm of your hand. They are open 10am -6pm Monday thru Saturday and 12pm – 6pm on Sunday.
- The Discovery Center of Idaho– Also in Boise, the Discovery Center hosts popular, kid-friendly Earth Science and learn-by-doing exhibits.
- World Center for Birds of Prey– Located in Boise about 13 miles outside of Meridian is the World Center for Birds of Prey. Go on a guided tour of the Archives of Falconry and learn all about the habits and lives of hawks, eagles, condors, and other birds. There are interactive displays, live demonstrations with raptors, and multi-media shows. The courtyard is full of native and non-native birds for you to see.
- Zoo Boise– The zoo is located about 11 miles outside of Meridian in Julia Davis Park, in the heart of Downtown Boise. Zoo Boise is home to over 300 animals from 100 various species. Special attractions include Giraffe encounters where guests can feed the giraffes, Sloth Bear encounters where visitors can feed mealworms to the bears, the Zoo Farm where you can pet and feed llamas, goats and sheep, the Conservation Cruise where guests ride a solar powered boat around the lagoon and see the patas monkeys and the endangered white-backed vultures, and more.
- The Nampa RollerDrome– Located about 10 miles outside of Meridian in Nampa is the Nampa RollerDrome. It is the ONLY place for roller skating in the Treasure Valley and has been in business since 1948! Complete with disco ball the Nampa Roller Dome will take you back in time for a fun night out with the whole family! Be sure to check their webpage for “Cheap Skate” nights and matinees for specials.
There is really so much a family can experience in Meridian and surrounding areas. Hopefully this list will help you find something fun to do with your family soon!